After a flood, many pool owners face the task of cleaning up a soggy mess. Once home interiors are repaired, attention turns to cleaning the pool and restoring the water to a healthy, clear, sparkling blue. Swimming is the best form of stress relief and relaxation following Mother Nature’s challenges!
1. Remove all solid debris from the pool.
2. For inground pools, examine pool edges and the ground around the pool for damage. For above ground pools, inspect the pool structure. Seek help from a professional pool builder or repair service to correct any structural problems.
3. Ensure the pump motor is adequately dry before resuming operation. Drain down any excess water from the pool.
4. Use a floccing agent such as BioGuard’s PowerFloc® and vacuum in the waste position on the filter valve. Flocculants are chemical compounds that when added to water cause suspended agents to sink. Once settled on the bottom of the pool, the previously suspended particles can be vacuumed. If you cannot vacuum to waste please contact Sabine Pools for the proper product for your pool.
5. Circulate the pool for 24 hours, and then test the pH, Total Alkalinity, and Calcium Hardness (or take about a pint of water to Sabine Pools for a quick, computerized chlorine demand analysis). Make adjustments as needed. For chlorinated pools, apply a double dosage of a chlorinating shock product such as BioGuard’s Burn Out 73® or Smart Shock®. For Salt Pools use BioGuard Salt Scapes Chlorine Free Shock-Oxidizer. Circulate pool again for 24 hours.
6. Monitor the chlorine level for the next 24 hours to ensure you can maintain a 1-4ppm level. Add chlorinating shock as needed to maintain levels. For salt pools turn your generator up to produce sanitizer for the maximum amount of time and monitor the pool for sanitizer levels. Once sanitizer levels are met, turn your generator down to normal levels. Add products as needed to maintain proper levels.
7. Clean the filter using a cleaner such as Kleen It® or Strip Kwik®.
8. After the water is balanced and sanitizer levels are stable, you can resume use of the pool.